Frequently Asked Questions  
Click on the questions below for information.
Q: What is a Community Health Center?
Community Health Centers are nonprofit, community-based primary health care delivery organizations supported, in part, by federal funds. This health care model was authorized under the Consolidated Health Services Programs of section 330 of the Public Health Service Act, administered by the United States Department of Health and Human Services Bureau of Primary Health Care.

Community Health Services funds are initially granted through a competitive process. Other funding is garnered from third party payors like private insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, patient payments, other state grants, and local fundraising.
Q: When is the clinic open?
The Medical Clinic is open 5 days a week with hours from 8 am – 12 pm and 1 pm - 5 pm on Monday through Friday. The Dental Clinic is open 4 days a week with hours from 8 am – 12 pm and 1 pm - 5 pm Monday through Thursday.
Q: What services are available at the clinic?
The Medical clinic provides primary care services for all age groups, including routine health maintenance, interventional treatment for moderate conditions, treatment and management assistance for chronic conditions, and protocol directed emergency care.

The Dental team also provides primary, preventive and emergency dental care including hygiene, fillings, extractions, crowns, and dentures.
Q: What options are there to pay for services?
Mora Valley Community Health Services (NCHC) prides itself on providing convenient, friendly, and accessible quality healthcare for the whole community. We encourage all our patients to apply for our discount program. It is available for medical, dental, and behavioral health services and operates on a Sliding Fee Scale (SFS), offering discounts for people with income below 200% of the federal poverty guideline. A minimal co-pay is required and payable at the time of service. The application process is simple and takes no more than a few minutes to complete. You can stop by MVCHS to fill it out or download the application here and mail it to the address on the application. Proof of income is required with the application.
Q: I am currently working. Am I still able to receive services at Mora Valley Community Health Services?
Yes, you can use Mora Valley Community Health Services services, regardless of whether or not you are employed or insured.
Q: Can I get my medications there?
Yes, most of the time. The clinic stocks basic medications frequently prescribed for patients, particularly those without insurance. Providers also write prescriptions and are able to electronically prescribe for patients to fill at commercial pharmacies if the patient prefers. MVCHS is able to purchase medications at substantially reduced prices and provide them to patients passing on that savings, often at less than an insurance co-pay.
Q: How long does it take to get an appointment?
Mora Valley Community Health Services has some walk-in services available daily for urgent needs. However, whenever possible, it is best to schedule an appointment in advance in order to see one of the medical/dental providers. For the dental clinic, preventive hygiene work may be scheduled several weeks out.
Q: What if a patient is Spanish-speaking only?
All of MVCHS services have qualified Spanish-speaking staff available to translate for and communicate with patients who are Spanish-speaking only to make sure that a family member or friend is not placed in that confidential situation.
Q: Who does MVCHS share my health and financial information with?
Without your personal authorization in writing or an Order from a Court with jurisdiction, we release your information to no one. Like all healthcare providers, MVCHS is bound by the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) and all applicable laws. We do share information in the aggregate such as numbers of patients seen, levels of care, diagnoses, and payment sources with federal and state health departments and funders.
Q: Can MVCHS be my Primary Care Provider?
Yes. All of our medical providers are credentialed to be PCPs with nearly all insurance carriers in the state. One of many benefits of being a clinic setting is that you may designate your PCP, however if he or she is not available, your records are available for any other provider within MVCHS to provide appropriate evaluation and treatment as necessary.
Q: What if I need to go to the hospital or require a specialist?
Our medical and dental providers work closely with every type of specialist in order to refer you to, coordinate care with, and follow up on any medical or dental condition requiring a specialist. In addition, the medical providers work with the hospitalists at Alta Vista Regional Hospital and other acute care facilities in the state where emergency, surgical or other in-patient services are provided.
Q: Do I have to live in the Mora Valley area to get services at the clinic?
No. Our location is designed to be accessible for local residents and visitors.
Q: How do I make a charitable donation to help Mora Valley Community Health Services provide needed services?
You can help support Mora Valley Community Health Services mission to provide quality primary and preventive health care for all people in need by contacting us at (575)387-5069 or by sending a check to Mora Valley Community Health Services, P.O. Box 209 Mora, NM 87732. Click here to go to the Donation page.


Dental Services - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)   
Click on the questions below for information.
Q: Will dental care hurt?
A: Our dentist will provide local anesthetic to produce profound anesthesia. There will be no pain.
Q: Does the clinic offer teeth whitening?
A: Yes, we now offer low cost teeth whitening.

Q: Does the clinic offer denture work?
A: Yes, depending upon the patient’s needs, we can provide dental prosthetics. In addition, we recently began to offer dental implants to stabilize lower dentures.

Q: How often should I have my teeth cleaned?
A: It depends. Most people need cleanings twice a year. However, if you have gum disease, you may need cleanings every three or four months.

Q: Do cleanings hurt?
A: Usually no. If you have gum disease, we may need to numb the gums, which is generally easy to do.

Q: What is gum disease?
A: Gum disease is an infection of the tissue and bone around the teeth. It can cause bone and tooth loss if not treated.


Caridad de San Antonio - Frequently Asked Questions   
Click on the questions below for information.

Q: Who Qualifies for Home Health?
A: To qualify, the client must be under a doctor's orders and require skilled intervention from a nurse or physical therapist. The person must be home bound and the required care must be intermittent with a definite end in sight.
Q: What services are offered?
A: Skilled nursing, bathing, light housekeeping, meal preparation, and other services spelled out in the doctor's orders. The goal of home health is to help the patient achieve the greatest possible level of health and comfort at home.
Q: How are the services paid for?
A: Most often the services are paid through Medicare, Medicaid and private insurances.
Q: How do I sign up?
A: Talk with your physician to see if you qualify for home health services. The physician will make a referral to a home health agency.
Q: Who Qualifies for Homemaker services?
A: You must be 60 or older and have a need for homemaker assistance. Because of limited state funding, a waiting list exists.
Q: What services are offered?
A: Services include non-medical personal care to help the client meet daily living needs; home management and maintenance to assist with light house cleaning, errands, advocacy and interpretation; and environmental safety to assist with hauling wood and minor home repair.
Q: How are services paid for?
A: The Non Metro Area Agency on Aging funds this program for a limited number of individuals.
Q: How do I apply?
A: Contact CSA directly (575-387-6078) to see if you qualify. An assessment will be completed. You may be placed on a waiting list if you qualify.
Q: Who Qualifies for Personal Care Option services?
A: Anyone over the age of 21 years with a qualifying medical condition – that is, who meet the level of care required for a nursing home as determined by their doctors. Individuals must meet full coverage Medicaid eligibility (usually through Supplemental Security Income - SSI).
Q: What services are offered?
A: Services include bathing, housekeeping, transportation, meal preparation, some errands, and other services that allow homebound individuals to stay at home rather than needing a nursing facility.
Q: How do I apply?
A: Your physician fills out a medical assessment showing the need for Personal Care, and you select an agency. The agency then refers to a Managed Care Organization (Amerigroup or Evercare) who conduct an in-home assessment.
Q: Who Qualifies for Home Care services?
A: This is an Adult Protective Service program. APS makes an assessment of the need for service – based on the threat of abuse, neglect or exploitation. APS then makes the referral to a Home Care agency.
Q: What services are offered?
A: Services include light housekeeping, bathing, grooming, chore services, meal preparation, assistance with program paperwork, transportation, etc.
Q: How do I apply?
A: All referrals must come from New Mexico Adult Protective Services.
Q: Who Qualifies for Adult Day Services?
A: This is an Adult Protective Service program. APS makes an assessment of the need for service – based on the threat of abuse, neglect or exploitation. APS then makes the referral to an Adult Day Services program. Funding is limited.
Q: What services are offered?
A: Services include transportation to and from the CSA facility, one warm meal and two snacks, social interaction, crafts and other group activities.
Q: How do I apply?
A: All referrals must come from New Mexico Adult Protective Services.